macOS Monterey 12.1 is now available!
- 112.1 is now available as a delta update, Full Installer & M1 IPSW Restore file
- Universal Control = Delayed until Spring 2022
- Memory Leaks – Multiple reports. Some are saying some of the memory leaks are fixed, while others are still having issues.
- 2021 16″ M1 MacBook Pro charging fix when lid is closed
- Mojave to Big Sur & Monterey Upgrade issue fixed! – More info https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-upgrade-to-big-sur-failed-stuck-progress-bar-fix-prevention/
macOS Monterey Patch Notes Summary
- 1. New Features – 7
- 2. Resolved Issues – 7
- 3. Security Fixes – 42
- 3. New Enhancements – 3
- 4. Enterprise – 5
- 5. Undocumented Fixes – 1
Other Apple Releases
- 1. iOS 15.2 (19C56)
- 2. iPadOS 15.2 (19C56)
- 3. watchOS 8.3 (19S55)
- 4. tvOS 15.2 (19K53)
- 5. HomePodOS 15.2 (19K52)
- 6. Monterey 12.1 (21C52)
- 7. Big Sur 11.6.2 (20G313)
- 8. Catalina 2021-008 (19H1615)
- 9. Xcode 13.2 (13C90)
Table of Contents
- 1. Apple Links
- 2. Mr. Macintosh articles of interest for Apple Silicon & macOS Monterey
- 3. Undocumented macOS Monterey Update changes & fixes
- 4. Monterey Release History
- 5. macOS Monterey Full Installer.app
- 6. Apple Silicon IPSW Restore file Update
- 7. macOS Monterey Update sizes for Intel and M1
- 8. Apple Silicon M1 Firmware Update
- 9. Intel T2 BridgeOS Update
- 10. Safari Update
- 11. What’s new for enterprise in macOS Monterey
- 12. Security Content of macOS Monterey
- 13. macOS Monterey Release Notes / Patch Notes / Changes
Click “Continue Reading” for the rest of the article.
1. Apple Links
AppleSeed Notes Link = appleseed.apple.com/
Developer Public Link = developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes
macOS Deployment References Changes – https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment-reference-macos/document-revision-history-apd04dff7069/web
2. Articles of interest & info related to macOS Monterey
3. Undocumented macOS Monterey changes & fixes
4. Monterey Release History
5. macOS Monterey Full Installer.app
I list all the of the macOS Monterey Full installers in the link below.
- 2. Monterey 12.1 = 12/13/12
- 1. Monterey 12.0.1 = 10/25/12
InstallAssistant.pkg = Full download. Installing this package will add the full “Install macOS Monterey.app” to your applications folder.
6. Apple Silicon IPSW Restore file Update
Apple has released the full IPSW restore file of macOS Monterey for Apple Silicon M1 Macs. I keep track of all of them in my Apple Silicon Firmware Database
- 2. macOS Monterey 12.1 = UniversalMac_12.1_21C52_Restore.ipsw
- 1. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 = UniversalMac_12.0.1_21A559_Restore.ipsw
7. macOS Monterey Update sizes for Intel and M1
Monterey Delta Update
The delta update will automatically change in size for exactly what your os version needs.
Thank you DhinakG
Monterey Combo Update
The “Combo Update” has been replaced by an automatic sized update. This means if you are updating from an version of monterey, you will get an update that includes only the files that you need.
Monterey Full Update
This is update is for if your volume is having issues or is not sealed.
Size = 11.0GB
8. Apple Silicon M1 Firmware Update
This update has a new firmware update. The version number is reported in System Information under “System Firmware Version“
Apple Silicon M1 Firmware – UPDATED = 7429.61.2
Previous M1 Apple Silicon Firmware Updates
- 2. macOS Monterey 12.1 = 7429.61.2
- 1. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 = 7429.41.5
9. Intel T2 BridgeOS Update
The Version of BridgeOS for your T2 Security Chip (2018-2020 Intel Macs) was updated.
BridgeOS version – UPDATED = 19.16.10647.0.0
Previous T2 Bridge Updates
- 2. macOS Monterey 12.1 = 19.16.10647.0.0
- 1. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 = 19.16.10548.0.0
10. Safari Update
The new version of Safar 15 is included in the macOS Monterey update.
Safari – UPDATED = 15.2 (176126.96.36.199.6)
- 2. macOS Monterey 12.1 = 15.2 (176188.8.131.52.6)
- 1. macOS Monterey 12.0.1 = 15.1 (176184.108.40.206.20)
11. What’s new for Enterprise in macOS Monterey
Enterprise changes in macOS Monterey
- 1. Mac computers with Apple silicon connected to Ethernet can now activate automatically when Erase All Content and Settings is performed by MDM.
- 2. Screen sharing can now be enabled remotely only by MDM.
- 3. Resolves an issue where iCloud Photos could be enabled while restricted by MDM.
- 4. Resolves an issue that prevented Software Update from recognizing smart card enforcement for authentication.
- 5. Resolves an issue that prevented the FileVault recovery key from rotating.
12. Security Content of macOS Monterey
macOS Monterey Security Document
macOS Monterey 12.1 includes – 42 Security fixes
13. macOS Monterey Release Notes
macOS Monterey 12.1 Update – Restart Required
macOS Monterey 12.1 adds SharePlay, an entirely new way to have shared experiences with family and friends in FaceTime. This update also includes the Apple Music Voice Plan, new safety features for children and parents in Messages, redesigned Memories in Photos, and other features and bug fixes for your Mac.
- SharePlay is a new way to share synchronized experiences in FaceTime with content from the Apple TV app, Apple Music, and other supported apps
- Shared controls give everyone the ability to pause, play, rewind or fast forward
- Smart volume automatically lowers the audio of a movie, TV show or song when you or your friends speak
- Screen sharing lets everyone on a FaceTime call look at photos, browse the web, or help each other out
Apple Music Voice Plan
- Apple Music Voice Plan is a new subscription tier that gives you access to all songs, playlists, and stations in Apple Music using Siri
- Just Ask Siri suggests music based on your listening history and likes or dislikes
- Play it Again lets you access a list of your recently played music
- Memories has been redesigned with a new interactive interface, new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages
- New Memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time, and improved pet memories
- Communication safety setting gives parents the ability to enable warnings for children when they receive or send photos that contain nudity
- Safety warnings contain helpful resources for children when they receive photos that contain nudity
Siri and Search
- Expanded guidance in Siri, Spotlight and Safari Search to help children and parents stay safe online and get help with unsafe situations
- Digital Legacy allows you to designate people as Legacy Contacts so they can access your iCloud account and personal information in the event of your death
- Store tab lets you browse, buy, and rent movies and TV Shows all in one place
This release also includes the following enhancements for your Mac:
- Hide My Email is available in the Mail app for iCloud+ subscribers to create unique, random email addresses
- Stocks allows you to view the currency for a ticker and see year-to-date performance when viewing charts
- Reminders and Notes now allow you to delete or rename tags
This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac:
- Desktop and Screen Saver may appear blank after selecting photos from the Photos library
- Trackpad could become unresponsive to taps or clicks
- External displays may not charge some MacBook Pro and MacBook Air computers when connected using Thunderbolt or USB-C
- HDR video playback on YouTube.com could cause 2021 MacBook Pro computers to panic
- Menu bar extras may be obscured by the camera housing on 2021 MacBook Pro computers
- MagSafe may stop charging on 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro computers when lid is closed and system is shut down
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222